Preserving the traditions of a legendary sport.
In 1984, Old Marsh Partners purchased the Lewis Ranch, a 456-acre parcel of pristine marshes and stately upland pines tucked away in the heart of Palm Beach County. From this extraordinary property a private residential golf community with a world class club and golf course was created – Old Marsh Golf Club in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
Old Marsh is often called a “purist club”, created for those whose love of golf approaches passion. The historic traditions of the game are cherished and protected at this exclusive club. Laurie Auchterlonie, Honorary Professional to the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, Scotland was appointed the first and only captain of Old Marsh. Mr. Auchterlonie and his family represent a modern link to this legendary sport. His father won the British Open Championship in 1893, his uncle won the U.S. Open in 1902, and he himself was a recognized international authority on handcrafted wooden clubs. The Auchterlonie family’s personal collection of antique clubs, some dating from the mid 1700’s, is on display in the Old Marsh Clubhouse. Laurie Auchterlonie’s respect for the game’s heritage remains a guiding principle at Old Marsh.
In April 1998, Old Marsh proudly obtained the status of “Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary”, which is a program of Audubon International. Members embrace the beautiful, natural setting that is the perfect backdrop for our golf course. Majestic pines, sawgrass vistas and pristine oak hammocks remain virtually undisturbed. Every element of the course is uniquely compatible with the natural environment. Its drainage system allows no irrigation water to be drained into the adjacent environmentally pure marshes or wetlands. Instead, all the water on the course is drained into canals or a series of retention lakes. This sensitivity to the unspoiled natural beauty of Old Marsh is symbolized by the presence of rare Florida sandhill cranes, whose trumpeting call can be heard echoing across the marshes, and whose nests stand along the fringes of the course.