Established in 1987, Old Marsh is often called a “purist club,” created for those who share a true passion for golf. The historic traditions of the sport are cherished and protected.
Laurie Auchterlonie, honorary professional to the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, Scotland, was appointed the first and only captain of Old Marsh. His father won the British Open Championship in 1893, his uncle won the U.S. Open in 1902, and he, himself, was a recognized international authority on handcrafted wooden clubs. The Auchterlonie family’s personal collection of antique clubs dating back to the mid-1700s is on display in the Old Marsh Clubhouse. Laurie Auchterlonie’s respect for the game’s heritage remains a guiding principle at Old Marsh.
In April 1998, Old Marsh obtained the status of Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary through an education and certification program of Audubon International. The program helps golf courses protect the environment, while preserving the natural heritage of golf. Members truly appreciate being part of an eco-conscious course, and embrace the beautiful, natural setting that serves as a daily backdrop. Today, Old Marsh continues to hold this prestigious designation.
The course’s drainage system is uniquely compatible with the natural environment. All of the water on the course is drained into canals or a series of retention ponds, rather than into the adjacent wetlands. Take a look at the local wildlife and it is obvious this system is working. Members and visitors notice a plethora of flora and fauna, including the Florida sandhill crane. The long-legged bird’s trumpeting call can be heard across the marshes, while their nests are seen along the edges of the course.